Common IVMS Specification
Requirements for In-Vehicle Monitoring Systems used in Queensland Natural Gas Exploration and Production Industry.Standardisation
IVMS is a key tool to manage road safety risks. Contractors servicing the CSG industry have previously expressed their frustrations concerning differing IVMS requirements (i.e. speed rules, exception settings) across each of the operators. For example – some contractors were driving for three separate CSG operators in the same week. This has resulted in potential confusion for drivers regarding each operator’s IVMS settings.
Simplify and standardise IVMS requirements – to achieve safer outcomes. Standardise IVMS settings for: speed management; seat belts; fatigue management; harsh driving events; reporting. This enables greater transparency in the industry by having all contractors complying with the same rules and improves each operator’s ability to conduct assurance activities..
The Working Group has developed the IVMS Specification. This Specification is intended for use by operators and contractors. It applies to Heavy Vehicles and Light Vehicles.
As part of continuous improvement, in August 2020 Safer Together reviewed the IVMS Specification and updated it based on changes in IVMS technology and having a better understanding of Industry driver behaviours. The revision incorporates input from extensive consultation with IVMS suppliers and users of the systems.
Enhancements to the requirements include:
- Simplifying speed settings and only having the 'one rule' parameter for reporting
- Adding 'harsh cornering' and '4WD disengaged on unsealed roads' to the rule set
- Adding a minimum polling frequency of 5 seconds
- Making rollover and impact detection technology a mandatory requirement
In addition, we are continuing alignment with key operator map sets so that IVMS providers and contractors in the near future will not have to obtain individual maps from each operator. Click here for more information.
- Implementation guide and Overview: an overview of the steps and activities to implement the new industry requirements.
- Poster: to raise awareness about the changes and reinforce the messages.
Other useful resources:
- FAQs: frequently asked questions and answers.
For More Information