Santos has recently developed a series of video podcasts to generate discussion within work teams about the causes of, and opportunities to prevent “line of fire” type injuries. In the spirit of collaboration and sharing, Santos has made these podcasts available to other member companies of Safer Together.
A simple definition of “line of fire” is being in harm’s way, such as being hit, crushed or cut by something. Fatal and serious injuries can result when people are caught in the line of fire.
The series of video podcasts are designed to be run as a safety communications campaign over a period of several months – this helps to reinforce learning and embed the key concepts. Click on the links below to view each podcast:
The outcomes that Santos aims to achieve from the campaign are:
- The workforce understands and can relate the elements of the line of fire model to their own areas of work
- People develop their own self-trigger to “pause and reset” when they recognise they are trouble-shooting / problem-solving
- No-one gets hurt due to work involving being in the line of fire.
Metrics to measure the effectiveness of the campaign will include work teams sharing how they have:
- Developed a self-trigger
- Identified examples of work situations that have prompted self-triggering and/or intervening
- Approached Line of Fire work by adjusting / breaking the line of fire triangle; and
- Created innovative approaches to eliminating / reducing line of fire exposure.
In reflecting on the initiative, Santos Health & Safety Adviser - Jason Sullivan said “our vision for this project is that we see evidence of a culture of healthy conversation and intervention, using consistent language (pause and reset) that triggers people to engage each other on how to apply the line of fire principles before and during a task to find ways of completing line of fire work safely”.
Member companies are encouraged to take a look at these materials and also the wide range of other useful safety resources provided by members of the Safer Together community specifically for the benefit of other member companies in Safer Together’s resource library.
For more information about Santos click here .
Contact: [email protected]