Safer Together is working closely with APPEA to support the Australian Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Industry’s response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic.
Through Safer Together, Operators and Contractors all over Australia, onshore and offshore, will collaborate to simplify, standardise and share to address challenges posed by COVID-19.
Our Industry’s COVID-19 response objectives are clear:
- Keep the oil and gas industry workforce safe and healthy
- Ensure that the oil and gas industry does not adversely impact the health of the regions and the communities it operates in and does not undermine public health efforts
- Maintain operations, business continuity and production
Our Industry’s response will be led by APPEA. Safer Together will support APPEA in respect of COVID-19 position and actions. We will be guided by APPEA COVID-19 Industry Protocol Framework - Onshore and Offshore. APPEA and Safer Together will reinforce and work concurrently with government public health arrangements.
Safer Together’s role in the COVID-19 response will be to simplify, standardise and share.
Our primary response will be to facilitate sharing among organisations working in the Australian Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Industry (i.e. Safer Together members and non-members alike). We will:
- Simplify – by guiding organisations to the right information (via this web page)
- Standardise – by identifying / highlighting best practice response exemplars
- Share – by providing a platform for sharing material (COVID-19 Library) and by informing organisations about new information (in a manner that does not add to the 'noise’). Click here to access a How To Guide for using our Sharing Library to help you with your COVID-19 response.
Safer Together will also act as a delivery partner to help organisations working in the Industry to respond to COVID-19. We will:
- Assist organisations to find solutions that may already have been built by others (e.g. other organisations in the industry; Industry Associations – local and international; Government)
- Invite organisations to identify how Safer Together might assist their COVID-19 response
- Develop (or otherwise provide) tools, products, and advice as necessary to assist
Impact on Safer Together activities
Response to COVID-19 has become an operational focus for organisations across our Industry. This is now impacting on the availability of senior industry leaders and others who may usually attend our events.
Many of our members have implemented restrictions on:
- staff attending non-essential meetings in person
- hosting non-essential meetings involving external parties
Changes to our activities are outlined below:
Safer Together has developed first materials of Play Your Part communications campaign. This campaign will emphasise that there are simple things you can do to stop the Coronavirus spreading. When you do all these things you’re protecting yourself, your family and friends, your job, the broader community, and the supply of energy to all Australians:
- Play your Part video
- Keep Your Distance poster and video
- Cover Your Cough poster and video
- Wash Hands Often poster and video
- Clean Surfaces Often poster and video
- Stay Away If Unwell poster and video
- APPEA's COVID-19 web page
- NOPSEMA's COVID-19 Pandemic Compliance Strategy
- NHVR (update on cross-border travel)
- Australian Government Department of Health
- NT Government Dept of Health
- Queensland Health
- WA Dept of Health
- World Health Organisation
- Step Change in Safety COVID-19 Safety Videos
- Oil and Gas UK
- Offshore Operations Committee (Gulf of Mexico, US)